Thursday, July 31, 2008

He delights in us!

We just need to be reminded from time to time that God delights in us!!

Here is a quote from Beth Moore’s Bible study “Stepping Up – A journey through the Psalms of Ascent” pg 58

“We live most of our lives unconvinced that God is really for us. We have little trouble picturing ourselves on God’s side, but for the life of us we can’t picture God stooping down enough to be on ours. Even though we’ll say things and sing things to the contrary, we live as if we believe down in the hidden places of our hearts and minds that God at best tolerates us. And luck we are at that!

We may rarely admit it, but our actions, anxieties, fears and insecurities suggest something else. Perhaps some of us don’t so much feel as if God is against us as we just don’t necessarily feel as if He’s for us. We conclude that the only person God is truly for is Himself and rightly so, we reason.”

Yes, He delights in us and is for us. One of my current favorite verses that keeps popping up is:
Zephaniah 3:17 The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will
take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over
you with singing." (NIV)

I really like how the Revised Version states it:
Zephaniah 3:17 The LORD thy God is in the midst of thee, a mighty one who
will save: he will rejoice over thee with joy, he will rest in his love, he will
joy over thee with singing. (RV)

The reason I like this version so much is that word “midst”, Hebrew word translated “qereb”– it can mean a group of people, OR it can mean midst, among, inner, inward part, of a physical sense. When He dwells within us, He saves us, rejoices over us, rests us in His love and sings over us.

Some of my other favorites from the Psalms:

Psalm 18:19 He brought me out into a spacious place; he rescued me because
he delighted in me.
(NIV)

Psalm 22:8 "He trusts in the LORD; let the LORD rescue him. Let him deliver him, since he delights in him." (English Standard Version)

Psalm 37:23-24 The Lord directs the steps of the godly. He delights in every detail of their lives. Though they stumble, they will never fall, for the Lord holds them by the hand. (New Living Translation)

Some days, I just need to be reminded of that, so I wanted to remind you, too.

Have a delightful day :)

4 comments:

  1. Wonderful post of reminder!!! We truly cannot even grasp how very much He loves us. When we doubt I believe it is just our inability to love Him completely that we try and reflect onto Him.
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shirley, you don't know how much this blessed me this morning! Thank you for letting God use you in this post!
    Blessings,
    ~Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too needed to just read that the Lord delights in me. Struggles have been hard and Satan's preferance is that I begin to doubt and yet all a long God knows, sees and cares and is for me working out His outcome for our family. His goal is not for my destruction...that is Satan's lie and only Satan's lie...Jesus loves and cares and better yet delights in our Ross family! Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Shirley,
    Is it possible to have a moment of advice from you sometime this week? I would appreciate that and if not no worries.
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! They are so much fun to read.