Friday, May 23, 2008

Kamping rekap

We returned home earlier today from our camping adventure. We truly had a fun time, especially the kids. Savannah cried when we got "home" to the camper, and Hadden has said repeatedly "I like tenting".

Most of all, we enjoyed being with a great group of people that truly feel like family. We arrived at almost dark on Wednesday and several immediately offered to help us out. We had not brought a flashlight, so very quickly 2 were given to us to borrow. In fairly short order, our tent was up and ready to go.

The first night, it got pretty cold, so we ended up using our "padding" (comforter off our bed) to cover up with. The next night, we were lent some egg-crate foam and an extra sleeping bag. We slept much better last night.

Here is our tent. I had won it in a volleyball tournament a number of years ago and had never taken it out of the box.




Biking: Thanks to a dear friend, PM, who watched our kiddos Thursday morning, John and I were able to join the group going mountain biking. We went on a 17-mile loop trail through the woods. I have never ridden on trails before, so I slowed the group down to all but a grinding halt as I cautiously navigated the roots and rocks on the trail. They were all very kind and gracious, but I felt bad holding them back. By the end, I was getting a little more brave, but I should probably stick to the roads :)

Kiddos: The kiddos just thoroughly enjoyed hanging out with the other kids (Savannah especially). They went on a hike while we were biking and were so excited to share about seeing 2 deer and an old rock chimney. Hadden enjoyed playing catch and showing people his new car collection (the sweet neighbor boy gave Hadden his entire collection of cars). We had s'mores at the campfire which was a big hit also.

Ring saga: John took the kids for a dip in the lake in the afternoon while I relaxed at camp. Savannah came running into camp saying "Mom - Daddy lost his ring in the water!" I knew she was not joking, so I headed to the lake with her to see how I could help. Here are some things going through my head:

"lake water = not clear, muddy, zero visibility" "bottom of lake = muddy, the really squishy, gushy kind" "odds of finding the ring = VERY slim" ... "PRAY"

You see, John never wears his ring in or near water ever since he almost lost it on our honeymoon. I mean never - not in the shower, not shaving, not swimming, never. As Savannah and I approached the lake, John is standing at the edge with a big smile on his face and waving at us. With the Lord's help, he FOUND it!

He then told me the story ... he was in the deep section and remembered his ring. He decided to check to see if it was tight enough to stay on, and when he tried to slide it over his knuckle it popped off of his hand and quickly sunk. Not wanting to move, he called to our group of kids to see if anyone had goggles. None did, but there was another lady there swimming that overheard and brought him out a pair. He was then able to dive down and find it. Praise the Lord!

Petting zoo: Today on the way out, we stopped at the petting zoo and enjoyed the goats, donkeys, peacocks, horses, ponies and pig.

The peacocks were fun to watch as they displayed their tail feathers. In the picture below, the baby goat was very inquisitive and just kept going up to the peacock. The peacock seemed irritated at the goat and kept fluffing at him and at one point, went up and pecked at him! It was funny to watch because the little goat just didn't get it - he was a little mischievous one.









Well, I had better sign off. We have a big day tomorrow - we are hoping to get everything connected (well, electricity, septic) so that we can move the camper up to our property this weekend (which also means I will probably be offline for a bit).

Jude 1:24-25 To him who is able to keep you from falling and to present you before his glorious presence without fault and with great joy— to the only God our Savior be glory, majesty, power and authority, through Jesus Christ our Lord, before all ages, now and forevermore! Amen.

2 comments:

  1. Good Saturday morning to you Shirley!
    Your camping time away sounded great! I am so glad your husband found his wedding ring! He was smart to stay in one place...good thing you prayed! The little goat made me smile. My brother in law lives next door and has had goats and it is true they will do the same thing over and over and over again...sort of crazily at times! When I was pregnant with my 4th daughter on the way to our doctor appointments we would see this miniature goat always sleeping on top of this horse in a pastor we would drive by. the first time we thought wow what a fun fluke to be able to see this but it happened over and over again. It was so funny!
    How long do you think you will be off line for? Hopefully not too long. I will miss hearing about how you and your family are doing.
    You have another big step getting accomplished this weekend! Electricity yeah! How much longer till you guys start the house? Will you be doing fall and winter in the camper? I hope all moves quickly for you guys.
    Today is beautiful here. The sun is back. It only seems to stay for short bits this spring!. My husband and 2 younger girls ran to get some chicken wire so we can finish the back side of the chicken run. Our mean old rooster keeps attacking my husband while he is trying to work.....I tell you he is going to end up in a pot yet! Have a nice weekend ahead and keep us all updated as much as you can.
    ~Kim~

    ReplyDelete
  2. This camping trip sounds like a great time!! I love all this pictures, too!
    I am glad the ring was found. I love it when the peacocks show thier feathers!

    I will be thinking of you as you make the big move!

    Take care!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! They are so much fun to read.